Veterans and Drivers
Temporary Constables and Veterans, were attached to the Auxiliary Division.
- They provided the Drivers, Fitters, Mechanics, Armourers, Cooks and Canteen staff needed, for the ADRIC to function efficiently.
- They were recruited for a years service from Veteran ex-soldiers of 35 years of age and upwards.
- They were paid 10s. a day, with a gratuity of 25 Pounds on completion of a years service.
- Boot allowance of 1s. a week was also paid, along with a rent allowance of 40 Pounds a year. and separation allowance of 2s. a night to married men.
- These Temporary Constables were distributed among the different Auxiliary Companies stationed in different locations.
- The Veterans Division had its headquarters at Gormanstown Depot, alongside but separate from the R.I.C. Training Depot.
- For the Auxiliary Division, arms and stores were supplied by the Ordnance Department of the Army, and each Auxiliary Company had it's own Quartermaster to look after it's needs.
- All Auxiliary Company security duties were carried out by the Auxiliary Cadets themselves
I have not attempted to record individuals in the Vets and Drivers, unless they have been specifically mention in a particular incident