Ernest Lycett, R Warwick

He wrote a book "Being an account by Ernest Lycette of his life as a young man and soldier in the years between 1911 and 1921 : army of occupation-Rhineland, auxiliary corps-Ireland / [Ernest Lycette]"

1891 Jul 6. Born Lichfield, Staffordshire

The area was largely a sheep farming district but there were beginnings of some industry, particularly coal mining. At one time, when as a youth, Ernest was working with his father, who was a specialist in constructing tunnels, there was an accident and he had to work to free his father and help him out. He never did like mine work.

1901 census at Staffordshire

1911 census at 17 The Feis Bank Street, Heath Hayes, Cannock, Staffs

1914 Aug 8. Upon the outbreak of World War I he enlisted in the British Army. I was to have gone back to my work in the coal mines, which I really did not like, but along with several other young men of the village, I went to Hednesford and enlisted into the army. After taking the King’s Shilling, I went and spent it in the “Queen’s Arms” (not actually) but in the hotel. On arrival home, I broke the news to my Mother who was naturally upset, but my father showed no feeling whatever. The next day I put on my best and only suit, minus a cap, which I had not worn. I had my ticket to take me by train from Brownhill’s station to the nearest station to Lichfield Barracks. There were many more doing the same journey. We were met at the station by Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs), formed up into fours and marched over the parade grounds to the officers who interviewed us and allotted us to a Company and a room.

1915 Dec 1. Landed Gallipoli

1917 Jun 27. R Warwick Reg, The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (attd.). Ernest Lycett

1918 Dec 27. R. War. R. The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lts. to be temp. Lts.: E. Lycett, with precedence next below C. V. Prince

1920 Aug 17 Joined ADRIC with service no 293. Posted to C Coy . He wrote a very detailed account of life in ADRIC

1921 Apr 15 to 25 Apr. Medical Leave

1921 Jun 12 to 1 Jul. In King George V Hospital

1921 Jul 7 to Aug 1. Medical Leave

1921 Oct 12 to 25 on Leave

1921 Oct 29 to 10 Nov. In Stevens Hospital (following his wounding in an accidental gun discharge)

Section Leader Quale was in charge, with five other cadets and we had to be at the Vehicle Park at 8am. The Leader had been recently issued with a new powerful gun, which was a heavy 12 bore, I think. He was climbing down the lorry step, when he either hit the butt of the rifle or mishandled it somehow; anyway it let off one ‘bang’. The driver of the lorry was killed and, as I was standing in front of the lorry, I was hit by some shot, but did not realise until one of the other men said, “Look, Ernie, blood.” It was running down my arm and onto my hand. It all happened in an instant and I was taken to the ambulance room, where the doctor examined me and told me it had only just missed my elbow. A splint and sling was put on my arm and I was taken to the hospital. During the trip, I became aware that I had also been hit in the knee. I was taken to the theatre and my arm was treated. I told the doctor that I had a pain in my left knee and they removed my trousers. The doctor examined my swollen knee and told the Sister to put on a raised splint and that he would look at it the next day. So that’s how quickly events can happen. The ward was large and sunny and I asked the Sister if I could move nearer the window so I could see Phoenix Park. They were all very friendly towards me and, fortunately, I had bathed on the morning it happened, but that did not save me from being put through the ‘scrub’. The doctor came around the ward at about 10am and I received injections for the elbow. He told me I had fluid on the knee, and told the Sister to keep it on the splint in raised position and it should be so for several weeks. After the doctor’s rounds were finished in the ward, the nurses came around to tidy the beds. As they fixed my sheets, I asked, “How long will I have to be like this?” They said, “Maybe six weeks, but don’t worry, we will look after you.”

1922 Jan 13. Discharged on demobilisation of ADRIC

1922 Jul 20. Leaves UK for New Zealand. An engineer. A note on an ancestry tree says he added an "e" to make it "Lycette"

Married Hedda Gabler. Apparently she was Austrian.

1925 Jul 6. Arrives in UK from New Zealand with wife Hedda and daughter Evelyn aged 1. He is a painter. Later New Zealand Electoral Rolls give him as a labourer. They had at least 3 children: Evelyn, Raymond and Ray

Latterly he lived with his wife Hedda at 26 York St, Levin.  Occupation: Borough Overseer.

1979 Jan 7. Died New Zealand at the local hospital, Horowhenua Hospital aged 87

1979 Jan 9. He was cremated at Kelvin Grove crematorium at Palmerston North

1987 Nov 9. His wife Hedda died aged 87.  She too was cremated at Kelvin Grove.